Scheduling Baptisms/Weddings at St. Elias
For those planning baptisms & weddings at St. Elias Cathedral, the following requirements must be met:
1. Before choosing & confirming the godparents, please ensure the prospective godparents meet all requirements: At least one godparent must be an Orthodox Christian, the other can be a Christian of another denomination [i.e. Catholic]; the godparents must be in good standing with their respective churches, and are to receive confession and communion in the weeks approaching the baptism. No one will be permitted to serve as a godparent unless they have received confession and communion.
2. Schedule and confirm the date of baptism with the Cathedral office by calling 613-738-2222.
3. The godparents and parents are to meet with either Fr. Ghattas or Fr. Michael several weeks before the baptism in order to discuss the order of the service, the responsibilities of the godparents, and required items to bring.
1. Weddings should be booked at least 6 months in advance; 1 year in advance is preferrable. Please reserve the church BEFORE reserving the reception hall.
2. There are certain days when weddings CANNOT take place. These include: Wednesdays and Fridays, Great Feasts of the Church, during the Christmas Fast (Nov. 15 - Dec. 25), during Great Lent (including the period from Meatfare Sunday to Thomas Sunday), and during the Dormition Fast (Aug. 1-15).
3. If either member of the couple was previously married & divorced, they must first be reinstated by the Metropolitan Archbishop to the sacramental life of the Church before proceeding with the wedding; this process can be initiated by speaking with Fr. Ghattas or Fr. Michael.
4. At least one member of the couple must be an Orthodox Christian; the other must at least be a Christian (i.e. Catholic.) Weddings between Orthodox and non-Christians are not permitted. All members of the wedding party must be Christian.
5. The couple must attend at least 2 sessions of pre-marital counseling with the priest in the months prior to the wedding.
6. The couple must receive confession and communion at their respective churches prior to the wedding.
7. The couple is to return to the Cathedral on the nearest Sunday following their honeymoon for the service of the Removal of the Crowns.
If you have any questions regarding baptisms or weddings at St. Elias Cathedral, please call the Cathedral Office at 613-738-2222. Any decisions about unusual circumstances regarding these services are subject to the discretion of the Pastor, Fr. Ghattas.